Highlighting Tutorial from Magnolia Ink No. 2
Supplies used for Highlighting: Ink, small piece of stamp pad felt, sheet of scrap paper
- To begin, I choose the design papers and images to be used. After stamping, coloring and cutting out the images, I carefully run a permanent black marker along the cut edges.
2. Apply ink to your felt piece as shown. Blot felt piece on scrap paper to be sure ink is not too dark.
3. While holding your paper with your free hand, gently rub the inked felt piece in a light, circular motion around the area you wish to be highlighted.
4. Continue rubbing in circular motion until the desired color is obtained.
5. If an additional color is used, apply ink to the other end of your felt piece.
6. Again, gently rubbing in a light circular motion on the area you would like to be highlighted.
7. Continue light, circular rubbing until desired shade is achieved.
8. To add highlighting to the paper edges, apply ink again to the same felt piece. This time, begin to lightly rub the ink felt to the scrap paper, holding your image tightly with your free hand. Apply your inked felt straight down onto the scrap paper and pull it up and over onto your image. Continue in this same motion around the entire image – always applying ink in this same direction.
9. It’s best to start with light strokes and continue going around the edges until you reach the desired shade. That’s it! You are now ready to attached your colored images and complete your card.
Closeup of highlighted background with colored image added to card:
Full card! 🙂